Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday June 15th

It was another full day at RIC. Knowing that my schedule started early, at 8 o'clock, I wanted to get a jump on it. I was ringing my bell at 6:00am to get dressed and get out of bed so I could brush my teeth and go get a couple more final touches done on my chair. First thing I had was physical therapy where they got me on a mat and they called down the wheelchair maintenance guy to take some of the lean to the back out of the chair. While on the mat my goal for the session was for me to roll onto my side from my back. After several tries and advice from the PT I finally was able to turn over onto my left side with no problem! I could not get onto my right side but that will just have to be another day. Little steps at a time they say.

Next, Mom showed up and had some breakfast with me and quickly after that I had OT hand group. During hand group Ed (the gentleman who is leaving for good tomorrow) and I played Battleship. Battleship was quite the challenge with such small pegs. We ended up calling it a tie because the time ran out.

Right after hand group was occupational therapy. We did another great session of E-stim and several exercises with large rubber bands and my arms for strength training. To continue occupational therapy I then had OT exercise group. During exercise group there is about ten people sitting in a circle doing swinging arm exercises with weights - it really takes it out of you!

I ate lunch and then took a quick 15 minute nap and was headed on for psychology group. Four of us had a chance to talk about what was on our minds and how our time at RIC has been so far. I met another patient from this floor who gave me hope and more encouraging words.

After psychology group I decided to take it upon myself and do a few laps pushing around the floor. Meanwhile, Mike, Sarah, Dennis and my Aunt Maureen were all on their way to come visit. They came and we played a few more rounds of golf (cards) and Kalli and I had our dinner in the canary room.

Probably one of my biggest goals and accomplishments of the day was a new record of eleven and a half hours sitting in my wheelchair. This is truly amazing and I am really getting comfortable wheeling around in it as well.

I received a lot of mail today and want to thank everyone for thinking about me, commenting to me, and sending me cards.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Hippert!

    Sorry I wasn't able to stop by this weekend - it flew by and was over before I knew it! Don't worry, though, you'll be seeing my face soon!

    Sounds like you've been making amazing progress at rehab! I know it must be incredibly hard work, but it's great that you're doing extra stuff on your own, too! I really admire the way you've been handling things and the great attitude you've been able to maintain.

    I'm glad you got a chance to get out and enjoy the weather yesterday because it's going to be crappy for the rest of the week. I'm starting to think we live in Seattle, not Chicago.

    I hope you have a great week and I'll plan on seeing you this weekend. Stay strong, buddy.

    - Maeghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's what I'm talking about! Keep up the hard work. You'll have to change your voicemail announcement back to the one you had in Summer one year in Sturgeon Bay "Hey it's Andrew, I'm not here, I'm probably working out getting really buff right now. Leave me a message."

    Mark Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. hippert it sounds like your doing awesome man. You blow my mind every day and impress me with your advancements. I am so happy everything is working out your always in Michelle and my thoughts and if you ever need anything from Montucky let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Andrew you are quite amazing! Keep up the good work!

    Jenny Laird

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark L. showed me the pictures of you guys from this weekend in the apartment. Sounds like you are doing amazing. You probably will never know the amount of people you are inspiring through your hard work and perserverance. I like giving Mark a hard time about your notes to him about the hot physical therapist and the no pants. That is a dangerous combination for Mark. Hope tomorrow is another succesful day for you.

    Sarah Zimmerman (from Fond du Lac)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."
    - Vince Lombardi

    Keep it up, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hippert! I am so glad you, Kalli and your mom are getting more settled in chicago! it sounds like you're really getting to know your way around RIC and meeting some great people while you do so. I enjoyed your Sunday post -- it must have felt so good to be outside enjoying the sunshine while drinking some delicious coffee!

    thank you for sharing your day-to-day sucesses with us...keep up the hard work!

    xo - mary beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally remember that voicemail message too! So uh.. leave me a little message

    Michelle Hogler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, here Donna and I sit reading your blog. Wow, I wish I could have such camaraderie. You are gifted for some reason, I don't know why(lol). We sure wish you well... I should be down by you this weekend attending the Peacefest in Lincoln Park.
    Stay safe, much love, Jerome, Donna, And Michelle...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hip,
    Throw poop? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Tari
    As always love and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bro, I am truly amazed at your attitude and strength. I am convinced beyond belief, you will be walking in no time. It was wonderful to see you Thursday and Friday. I wish I would have stayed all weekend to see your smiling face injoying the sunshine outside. I'm so glad they are giving you time to enjoy being outside. I love you all the colors of the rainbow. I'm parcial to orange and that new orange shirt looked pretty smashing on you. The children and I pray for you every day and night. You are always on my mind and in my heart. Keep on keeping strong.
    Sarah (big sis)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to hear of your progress in rehab. you remain in our prayers. Keep up the hard work.
    Your on our mindand in our hearts... peace and love from Appleton..The Blazer Family..

    ReplyDelete
  13. morning hip,

    hey man i was jammin out to some Atmosphere while i was workin yesterday and i got goosebumps and thought about you when i heard the lyrics to "Sunshine" You gotta check it out, i think you'll dig it and appreciate it more than most. especially the first verse. if you got internet access you can go to dizzler.com and listen and read it. miss you bro, see you real soon

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yeah it's called "sunshine" NOT "nothing but sunshine"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey hippert. Are you updating the blog on your blackberry? If so, that's impressive!
    Love checkin' up on you and your progress. How exciting to be able to move around a little more, get outta the building and stuff.
    I'm going to be near Hayward cottaging it up for the rest of the week...I'll have a lot of catch up reading to do when I get back. No internet access up there - WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
    Hang tough!
    I'm planning to give you and/or Kalli a call soon...don't want to be annoying though since I know you have tons going on and I'm sure lotsa people are calling. Soon though.
    Peace out brotha (from anotha motha)
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Hippert,

    Nick and I are so proud of you. You seem to be doing well with all your rehab. Its so good to hear you have a positive and bright outlook on everything. That alone will take you really far!

    I know alittle bit about what your going through. Its crazy how things can just change in an instant. My life changed alot last year. I was diagnoised with a very rare muscle disease called Myasthenia Gravis. Long story short, I was in & out of hospitals for a year. I practically had open heart surgery last April and was clueless about alot of stuff because it all came at once and I no way to process it all.

    The best thing I did was I just stayed positive and I knew that everything was gonna work its way out and I was so lucky to have Nick and mine/his family and friends to help me get through my year of hell. Not alot of people know because I dont let it stop me from doing anything. I've been in remission for 6 weeks now. Which awesome! Your a fighter and I know your gonna reach all your goals and your gonna kick ass! Stay positive, you have alot of love everywhere you go! If you ever need anything call anytime! Your doing great!

    Love,

    Jenny & Nick

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Andrew,

    Grant let me know what happend to you bro. I'm happy to hear that you are doing so much better. My prayers are with you and your family. Hope to talk to you soon .......

    peace , love , and hair grease.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. What Up Hippert!

    Good to hear about all this progress you've been making! Small steps makes big progress. I was thinking back to the 3030 days and how bad me and you used to DOMINATE Endow in washers! Man did Endow suck. I bet he never won a game his whole life! Haha. I still have the washers set so whenever your ready we'll have to get a game!

    Keith Bettin

    P.S. I'm re-doing my basement and could use a nice "Hippert Crafted" bar!!

    ReplyDelete